Sunday, October 21, 2018

Jesus liberates all people from power and oppression: 22nd after pentecost year b

One of the perks of doing pulpit supply in different contexts is that if an illustration works well two weeks in a row, I can use it both weeks.  This was one of those occasions.

The sermon was based on the gospel reading for today (plus the missing verses between last week and this week), using Archbishop and Saint, Oscar Romero, and the Catholic Church in El Salvador's story, including the acknowledging the u.s. role in the dictatorship that ultimately made a martyr of Saint Oscar. 

Additionally, Martin Luther's Freedom of a Christian connected well, reminding us that as followers of Christ we are simultaneously totally free subject to none and also servants of all.

I drew heavily on my queery for Mark.  If you have any questions about he connections to it, please let me know!

This is the image for my sermon.

I preached three different times over the course of my weekend and so the sermon itself grew and changed over time.  If you have any questions or insights, let me know!


No comments: