Monday, October 15, 2018

jesus invites us into radical inversion: 21st after pentecost year b

This past weekend I preached at Capitol Hill Lutheran Church here in Des Moines.  While the sermon changed quite a bit from the first draft to the final, it remained rooted in my queerying of Mark 10:17-31.  I did record the sermon at one of the services, but don't have a way to host that much audio on my blog (but if you support me through ko-fi, I might be able to make it happen!).


This is the image I used for preaching.

In the gospel Jesus challenges a rich man who wants to know how to inherit eternal life and, in doing so, challenges notions of the Prosperity Gospel, inviting the man and all of us as Jesus' followers to a radical inversion of the way the world works.  As we celebrated Archbishop and Saint Oscar Romero's canonization, we also remembered the way God had worked that very inversion in Saint Romero in his lifetime.  If you'd like to know more about the sermon or connections to the queery, let me know!

No comments: