Sunday, May 17, 2015

jesus prays for us: 7th of easter


The other reading I reference is 1 John 5:9-13.

The holy gospel according to John 17:6-19.

Jesus prayed:
6”I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world.
       They were yours,
       and you gave them to me,
       and they have kept your word.
              7Now they know that everything you have given me is from you;
                     8for the words that you gave to me I have given to them,
                     and they have received them
                     and know in truth that I came from you;
                     and they have believed that you sent me.
       9I am asking on their behalf;
              I am not asking on behalf of the world,
                     but on behalf of those whom you gave me,
                            because they are yours.
                                  10All mine are yours,
                                  and yours are mine;
                                  and I have been glorified in them.

11And now I am no longer in the world,
       but they are in the world,
       and I am coming to you.
              Holy Father, protect them in your name that you have given me,
                     so that they may be one, as we are one.
                     12While I was with them,
                            I protected them in your name that you have given me.
                            I guarded them,
                                  and not one of them was lost
                                          except the one destined to be lost,
                                                 so that the scripture might be fulfilled.
                            13But now I am coming to you,
                                  and I speak these things in the world
                                          so that they may have my joy
                                                 made complete in themselves.
                            14I have given them your word,
                                  and the world has hated them
                                          because they do not belong to the world,
                                                 just as I do not belong to the world.
                            15I am not asking you to take them out of the world,
                                  but I ask you to protect them from the evil one.
                                          16They do not belong to the world,
                                                 just as I do not belong to the world.

                                          17Sanctify them in the truth;
                                                 your word is truth.
                            18As you have sent me into the world,
                                  so I have sent them into the world.
                                          19And for their sakes I sanctify myself,
                                                 so that they also may be sanctified in truth.

The gospel of the Lord.
 
-----

When I was in my second year of college, one of my friends from high school died in a car accident and, before I headed home for the memorial service, my roommate wrote different Bible verses on note cards to send with me.  Those cards continue to go with me as I’ve traveled and moved.  Right now they are sitting on my desk in my office.  They keep me grounded and remind me of the God who loves me and the comfort and refuge that God is.

One passage that she wrote out for me comes right after today’s gospel reading.  As Jesus prays for his followers, my roommate Stefanie, changed the “them”s to my name.  Now generally I don’t advocate changing what is communal, or group-oriented, to individualize it, because it was probably written that way for a reason, but here in this context of our faith community, naming ourselves and being named can be so valuable.  To hear yourself within Jesus’ final prayer before heading into the night and crucifixion brings a new meaning and depth to the prayer.  Listen as I read from the gospel of John again,

(fill in the blanks with your name and the names of those in your faith community)
Jesus prayed:
6”I have made your name known to those whom you gave me from the world.
       __________ was yours,
       and you gave __________ to me,
       and they have kept your word.
              7Now they know that everything you have given me
                     is from you;
                            8for the words that you gave to me I have given to __________,
                            and __________ has received them
                            and knows in truth that I came from you;
                            and they have believed that you sent me.
       9I am asking on __________ ‘s behalf;
              I am not asking on behalf of the world,
                     but on behalf of __________ whom you gave me,
                            because __________ is yours.
                                  10All mine are yours,
                                  and yours are mine;
                                  and I have been glorified in them.

11And now I am no longer in the world,
       but __________ is in the world,
       and I am coming to you.
              Holy Father, protect __________ in your name that you have given me,
                     so that they may be one, as we are one.
                     12While I was with __________,
                            I protected __________ in your name that you have given me.
                            I guarded __________,
                                  and not one of them was lost
                                          except the one destined to be lost,
                                                 so that the scripture might be fulfilled.
                            13But now I am coming to you,
                                  and I speak these things in the world
                                          so that __________ may have my joy
                                                 made complete in themselves/themselves.
                            14I have given __________ your word,
                                  and the world has hated them
                                          because __________ does not belong to the world,
                                                 just as I do not belong to the world.
                            15I am not asking you to take __________ out of the world,
                                  but I ask you to protect __________ from the evil one.
                                          16__________  does not belong to the world,
                                                 just as I do not belong to the world.

                                          17Sanctify __________ in the truth;
                                                 your word is truth.
                            18As you have sent me into the world,
                                  so I have sent __________ into the world.
                                          19And for their sakes I sanctify myself,
                                                 so that __________ also may be sanctified in truth.


Jesus prays for us, his followers.  He prays that we may have his joy made complete in ourselves.  Jesus’ prayer and words for us are assurance that as we come together to pray, to study scripture, to share in the Lord’s Supper, Jesus manifests his joy in us.

This prayer is for those of us who are already here.  Those of us seeking to follow Jesus in our lives.  The message is clear: “10All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them.  Jesus’ hope for us, his followers, is that we trust and live in the world as God’s beloved children, because that is who we are.  Jesus comes to us and knows us in our entirety.  In the things we do trust, or believe, and in the things we struggle with.

The gift of that is that belief is not about knowledge.  Faith involves—even necessitates—doubt.  Many of you have heard me say that if we didn’t doubt, it would be knowledge, not faith.  In fact, the Greek word for believe, pisteuo, means trust—trust in God, trust in Jesus, trust in the Holy Spirit, trust in each other.

Trust.  And you have it!  At least enough to get you to show up here today.  And that is enough.  It is enough because  1 John assures us that “the testimony of God is greater”—because God is greater and God makes it enough, because God is enough.

God’s love is poured out again and again, as we gather in trust to worship, to be fed, and to be loved.  So God loves us.  Jesus makes his joy complete in us and we are God’s, as Jesus says, “10All mine are yours, and yours are mine; and I have been glorified in them.

Because sometimes trust is just showing up—letting someone else hold the faith for us when we are caught up in doubt.  At our evening worship, during our prayer space, trust can be lighting a candle in prayer, writing out a prayer to hang up or fold into an origami paper crane.  In spending time with God, in spending our energy and our resources and money with and for God, we are choosing to put our trust in God. 

What do you need for trust?

It is not always easy and that is why we come together.  So that friends can send you to memorial services with assurances of God’s loving presence.  So that we can hold the faith together for and with each other.  So that God’s love can be made real in our lives.  So that we are never in it alone.  

Thanks be to God.

No comments: