Monday, December 03, 2018

God fulfills Their promises: advent 1 year c

Sunday I preached again at Capitol Hill Lutheran Church for the first Sunday of Advent.  The day before, Capitol Hill had hosted the ordination of Pastor Nat Bothwell, whose spouse, Pastor Minna Bothwell, serves as pastor of Capitol Hill.  I drew on River Needham's queery of Jeremiah as well as my queery of Luke for this sermon.

I explored the meaning of Advent as well as the places of distress, fear, and foreboding in our lives and country, challenged by God who fulfills Their promises and the ways God's Word is powerful as well as the glimpses we get, like snowflakes on a dull, gray winter day or stars only visible in the dark of night.

This is the image I preached from at both worship services.

I notice the connections between the queeries and the final sermon, but if you're curious or have any other comments or questions, let me know!

No comments: